Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Healthy and Chewy Coconut Macaroons

Ever since we got back from our French Polynesian honeymoon, I've been obsessed with two things - staying at my wedding weight and macaroons. Now, I realize that the latter obviously doesn't facilitate the former but I was determined to find a compromise.

That compromise came in the form of this recipe I found in a cookbook I picked up at Barnes & Noble the other day - Everyday Light Meals (published by Taste of Home Books.)

Now, I'm not going to lie and say that they're as amazing as the fresh macaroons we had at the Radisson Resort & Spa in Tahiti, but they are pretty good. They're sweet, chewy and at only 45 calories per cookie, they don't put too much of a dent in my calorie budget.



Chewy Coconut Macaroons
Yield: 72 cookies

Ingredients
2-1/2 cups flakes coconut
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/8 tsp salt
1 can (14 ounces) fat-free sweetened condensed milk
1-1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Directions
In a bowl, toss together the coconut, flour and salt. Stir in sweetened condensed milk and vanilla extract until blended. (Mixture will be thick and sticky.)
Drop rounded teaspoonfuls 3 in. apart on baking sheets topped with parchment paper. Bake at 300 degrees for 18-22 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks.

So, give it a try and let me know what you think. Enjoy!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

  1. Omg I LOVE coconut macaroons - these look so delicious and not that difficult! I'm totally going to try these, thanks for sharing this recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete