Monday, August 23, 2010

Conquering Breakfast

If you take a close look at my meal planning template, you'll notice how truly pathetic our breakfast meals are.  Although they're actually very good, the ThinkThin bars that I came to depend on for my morning sustenance, are also the furthest thing from natural.  Unfortunately, they're super convenient and so they became my go-to morning meal.  Well today, I came across a yummier, healthier and cheaper alternative - Egg Muffins.  (This is where I give a huge shout out to Kalyn's Kitchen because she has some of the best and healthiest recipes with very thorough explanations and illustrations.)

After dinner tonight I spent about an extra hour in the kitchen making breakfast for the rest of the week.  I modified Kalyn's recipe just a bit considering what I had on hand: I skipped the Spike Seasoning, used regular shredded cheese instead of lowfat (1 cup), and added some diced red peppers.  Now, I have 6 servings of Egg Muffins (at 260 calories per serving) in the fridge packed up and ready to go in the mornings.

Although my egg muffins aren't as pretty as Kalyn's they are quite tasty and I can't wait to gobble them up tomorrow morning before a hectic day at work.

Here's the modified recipe I used based on the one from Kalyn's Kitchen

Egg Muffins (Revisited Again)
(Makes 12 muffins, recipe created by Kalyn with inspiration from The South Beach Diet book.)

15 eggs for silicone muffin pans
1-2 cups grated cheese
3 green onions diced small.
1/2 cup chopped red bell peppers

Preheat oven to 375 F. Use regular or silicone muffin pan, 12 muffin size. If using silicone pan, spray with nonstick spray. If using regular muffin pan, put two paper liners into each slot, then spray liner with nonstick spray.

In the bottom of the muffin cups layer diced meat, if using, vegetables, if using, cheese and green onions. You want the muffin cups to be about 2/3 full, with just enough room to pour a little egg around the other ingredients. Break eggs into large measuring bowl with pour spout, add Spike, and beat well.  Pour egg into each muffin cup until it is 3/4 full. I like to stir slightly with a fork. Bake 25-35 minutes until muffins have risen and are slightly browned and set.

Muffins will keep at least a week in the refrigerator without freezing. Egg muffins can be frozen and reheated. For best results, thaw in refrigerator before reheating. Microwave on high about 2 minutes to reheat.

No comments:

Post a Comment