Friday, August 20, 2010

Fish Novice

Growing up, we hardly ever ate fish.  The funny thing is, my parents liked it and I liked it, but my sister was horrified by the smell and would complain so much when they cooked it, that they eventually stopped making it altogether.  As a result, I was actually really nervous about cooking it last night.  Even more so when I unwrapped the salmon and the smell hit me like a ton of bricks -- it was not pleasant.  After donning a pair of makeshift freezer bag gloves (note to self, buy latex gloves), I got started on this recipe I found on allrecipes.com -- Healthier Grilled Salmon I -- which was really easy and quick.  I made 3 minor changes - I used raw cane sugar instead of brown because that's what I had, I used Lite Soy Sauce, and I used Polamers Ready to Use Chopped Garlic instead of mincing a clove.  I grilled it on my new All-Clad Double Burner Grill from Williams Sonoma (my new favorite kitchen item) and believe it or not -- the smell was not an issue.  I plated it up with a bit of brown rice and much to mine and M's surprise, it was actually pretty good. 


Here is my modified version of this recipe.  Let me know if you try it out and what you think:


Healthier Grilled Salmon I

INGREDIENTS: 
  • 1-1/2 lbs. salmon fillets
  • 2 teaspoons lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon lemon zest
  • 1 teaspoon Polamers Ready to Use chopped Garlic
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • Salt, to taste
  • 2 tablespoons Lite Soy Sauce
  • 1/3 cup Raw Cane Sugar
DIRECTIONS:
  1. In a 13 X 9-inch glass dish, stir together lemon juice and zest, soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic and olive oil until sugar is dissolved. Place fish flesh side down in mixture and refrigerate 30 minutes.
  2. Preheat grill for medium heat.
  3. Lightly oil grill grate. Place salmon on the preheated grill, and discard marinade. Cook salmon for 6 to 8 minutes per side, or until the fish flakes easily with a fork. 
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment